Photos courtesy of the Rochester Yacht Club
Rochester, New York, USA – July 20, 2014 – Tim Healy, with his team of John Mollicone, Gordon Borges and Geoff Becker, has
attained the 2014 J/70 North American Championship. Hosted by Rochester Yacht Club in Rochester, New York, six races were completed in the second annual Championship, which did not include a discard race. Although never finishing higher than third, Healy and crew avoided notching any scores below a 12 and finished the series
with 43 points. Ian Atkins of Great Britain secured the runner-up position with a bullet in Sunday’s only race, tallying 50 overall points. No racing took place on Saturday, after five were completed on the initial two days. Brian Keane totaled 57 points for third place.
Healy praised the Race Committee, led by PRO Hank Stuart, saying, “Hank and his crew did a really great job getting races off in the tough conditions that we had. The race management was excellent.” He also complimented the welcoming hospitality at the Rochester Yacht Club. “For the J/70 Class, this is a great place to have a Championship regatta,” Healy continued. “Everything was done first-class. We enjoyed every part of it, and stayed for all the dinners. It was fun for us; we had a great time in Rochester.”
Martin Johnsson won the Corinthian Division, with Adam Burns in second and Brian Elliott in third.
The top 10 overall:
1) Tim Healy, USA 58, 3-3-6-9-12-10 (43 points)
2) Ian Atkins, GBR 76, 6-20-3-13-7-1 (50 points)
3) Brian Keane, USA 36, 5-6-2-4-5-35 (57 points)
4) Mauricio Santa Cruz, BRA 66, 4-16-1-29%-10-7 (67 points)
5) Allan Terhune, USA 69, 10-13-4-27-3-11 (68 points)
6) Martin Kullman, USA 42, 21-15-21-8-2-4 (71 points)
7) John Brim, USA 03, 24-9-9-17-11-3 (73 points)
8) Kris Werner/Flip Wehrheim, USA 23, 20-7-22-5-9-13 (76 points)
9) Joel Ronning, USA 52, 29-2-8-28-1-9 (77 points)
10) Bennet Greenwald, USA 54, 16-22-5-1-13-43 (100 points)
Seventy-one teams competed from Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Great Britain, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.
Get your regalia for the J/70 NA's. Coral Reef has a great selection of apparel to make you look like a pro. Click here to see all the regalia items for the regatta.